Friday, May 15, 2009

How To Not Make It In The Music Biz

What are blogs for but to ramble on about the unimportance of your life. Paste it up on the big e-billboard that is the Internet and see if anyone gives a damn. Heck, I'm happy if someone finds my random crap the slight bit amusing. Or you can just completely ignore me and skip on to the next page. What do I care? Can't say I'm not use to that.

It is kind of fun reflecting on life experiences in a semi-anonymous fashion. Especially the ironic stuff. See, I'm a musician. I've always been a musician even before I could play any instruments. That's how much music means to me. It strikes me to the core of my being - to the point where I would say I'm a musician first, human later.

One thing I think I should do is reflect on my music experiences much in the way I'm blogging about fandoms. Wish I could remember my music stuff as well as the fandom stuff but I'm hoping this exercise will jog my memory. I've had fun times playing in bands for the last 10 years. I want to get back into it but this time with a less serious focus. Lack of success in the past has freed me from giving a shit about making it in music. I just want to have fun.

Of course with this new attitude and focus of mine comes the irony. As soon as I accepted the fact that a music career was not in my cards, and that I'm fine with that, I start meeting and befriending all these people who work in the music business. Mind boggling. A music lawyer here, a music publisher there, and yesterday I spend the afternoon chatting it up with one of the hottest record producers going right now (and a seriously cool, real, nice, nice fellow).

But his talk of shutting down NYC for a party, or hanging out on billionaire's yachts, and other fab and glamorous stuff makes me realize, yeah, that's so not the life I'd fit in to. I lack the skill set (totally stolen phrase there - but its my new favorite). I'm sure I lack it on a variety of levels. Whatever my mission in life is suppose to be, my dreams of record deals, touring and recording seem so misguided now. Well except for the recording part. I'd still love to do that, but in a small scale excellent studio with a great engineer. And for no greater reason than its fun to be creative. Who cares if anyone notices?



Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: