Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Bit Twee

So they aired the first of the last three episodes of "Pushing Daisies" tonight. Honestly, I could never get into the show. Which surprised me because judging from the commercials when it was initially promoted it looked like something that would be up my alley. I tend to like stuff that's a little quirky, but "Pushing Daisies" kind of went beyond "a little" quirky. I think the best explanation I read about it was that the show was 'a little too twee.'

I know there's a lot of love for the show on the internet (at least the craggy little corners I hang around in) but something like that seems to work better as a one shot movie rather than a weekly series, I think. You know, during the holidays, where you're all set for something warm and fuzzy and a little bit twee. On a weekly basis, it's a bit much...even for me (which is saying something).

In other TV watching news, I decided to give "Alias" another try. I find that I have a tendancy towards spy stuff. Always have. But I gave this show a try once when it was on and didn't quite get hooked. That's okay. Some show's you just have to watch from the very beginning to really get a feel for them. Same thing happened to me with "Arrested Development". You have to get a feel for the characters.

Verdict? I like it. But not quite love though. JJ Abrams creates intriging storylines. Weird thing is Jennifer Garner. She's someone I've liked in other roles, and seems like one of those more grounded in reality, real person non-fame whore type celebrities. But in "Alias" she kind of bugs me. She's got skull face, looks like she's 12 and has the squeaky little girl voice. But maybe that the point - because of that she's the last person you'd expect to be a kickass spy. I guess it also works because she's a grad student still in college.

I will give her this - she does indeed kick ass. Kudos for the action scenes, Ms. Garner. You get the Princess Kickass blog gold ninja star of approval for those. Whether I'll continue with my "Alias" viewing is up in the air. I've heard the series gets pretty convolulted because the writers never had an end goal in mind. It suffered from what many TV series suffer from - make stuff up as you go along (i.e. are renewed for another season). Although there's hope out there as I'm starting to think a lot of tv series/writers are trying to avoid that particular pitfall. Anyway, "Alias" is going to be fun summer viewing at the very least.

No comments: