Monday, June 20, 2016

Fandoms Reborn!

Holy Moly!  It's amazing how some things never change.  It's also amazingly good that some things do.  Case in point here being me.  Age, wisdom, distance, perspective - all the benefits of experience.  All the benefits of traveling thru an experience and coming out able to recognize the 'dangerous road ahead' signs and pitfalls.  But it also means if you decide to travel down a similar road again, watching others take those dangerous road and fall into those pits.

So, here's my dilemma:  Do I say anything to them?  They'll listen but it's not likely they'll change their course.  Some things you just have to learn NOT to do by knowing what it was like doing them in the first place.

Fandoms Reborn isn't really about the old TV fandom I had the pleasure (and pain) of belong to for many years.  In fact, there's been a small bit of resurgence of interest in "that show" but from people who weren't part of the original hoopla.  I've had fun revisiting it through their eyes, but also being able to maintain a certain distance.  Now?  It's the joy of pure nostalgia and nothing more.  And I think that goes for all involved as well.

The new deal is another show which carried a lot of the seductive allure, on and off screen, of the the one that got me into trouble in the first place.  For a time I wondered if I may be visiting dangerous territory again.  But this time I'm a mere curious observer, keeping my attachments to a minimum and my opinions, more or less, to myself.  I sit back and watch the others hash it out in fruitless attempts to find something, anything to latch on to when very little is going on.  Then ripping each other to shreds in the process.

I do not miss those days one bit.  But part of me wants to let them know ... Kids?  You're all completely wrong and you're all completely right.  And you all need to completely chill the f*ck out and find something else to do until there's something worth talking about again.  It'll come around.  But ripping each other to shreds in the meantime?  Not cool.

I doubt any of this will find it's way to those I wish could read it, but at least I got it off my chest in some manner.

Amen.


No comments: