Sunday, June 07, 2009

Burn and Nurse

Continuing my new tradition of summer TV viewing I decided to check out "Burn Notice" and "Nurse Jackie"

I've heard a lot of chatter about "Burn Notice" as a humorous show about an ex-spy. Sounds right up my territory, but I have the say the show didn't hook me. I think I'll stick with "Alias" as my spy show of the summer.

"Nurse Jackie" had two things going for it before I checked it out - Edie Falco and the use of the 70s song "Jackie Blue" in the commercials. My co-worker was also in my ear with raves for the show this week. I was wondering if I'd ever get around to checking it out since I don't have any pay channels like HBO or Showtime (economy, ya know).

Luckily DirecTV aired the first ep on their 101 channel this weekend and I have to say I thought the show was great. It was funnier than I expected it to be, and intriguing in Nurse Jackie's moral ambiguity. Plus, as expected, Edie Falco absolutely rocks. Glad to see her back on television. Now I have to figure out a way to catch this show without the benefit (and added expense) of Showtime.

Which leads me to another topic - I love television far better than films. I barely watch any movies these days. That's another reason I gave up my pay channels. Since I rarely watched movies, if the channels were no longer airing a tv series I was interested, it was just a waste of money. (I do however miss my weekly does of Bill Maher).

Something about sinking your teeth into a tv series you love. Just having that to forward to every week, hanging out with those characters. Movies can't replicate that (takes too long for sequels). However, I do fear this may be more of the case - especially after my experiece in Fandoms:

For Some TV Cures Loneliness

No comments: